Olivia Jane: A Birth Story
Monday, September 2, 2013
Here I am. It is 4:30 in the morning, and I am unable to get the slightest bit of shut eye. Husband is lying next to me in this queen-sized hospital bed (so nice!), and my newest little babe is asleep in the bassinet near it's foot. I think I still have waves of adrenalin coursing though my veins, considering what my body just went through. Seriously, what a night. And how vastly different this labor and delivery was compared to Ava's. Here is a glimpse of how it went down, and a [not so] brief story of how our sweet Livvy joined our family.
Our first baby surprised us by coming a day shy of 37 weeks. So naturally, I thought my second would come even faster. I was well prepared to feel contractions, head to the hospital and have our new addition in the middle of August. Bags were packed, the nursery was complete and arrangements were already made for where Ava would go while mom and dad were at the hospital. We were much more prepared this go around then we were with Ava.
My 37th week of pregnancy with Olivia came and went, and day by day I realized how wrong I was about her early arrival. I really didn't have control over anything. I'll admit, it was a hard lesson to learn. A lot of my friends kept asking how I was doing, and politely reminding me that I wasn't even at my due date yet. Yes, I knew that. I shouldn't have had my hopes up so high. I know. Lesson learned.
My 37th week of pregnancy with Olivia came and went, and day by day I realized how wrong I was about her early arrival. I really didn't have control over anything. I'll admit, it was a hard lesson to learn. A lot of my friends kept asking how I was doing, and politely reminding me that I wasn't even at my due date yet. Yes, I knew that. I shouldn't have had my hopes up so high. I know. Lesson learned.
Truth be told, I started avoiding people. I didn't want to have that same conversation as to how I was still pregnant over and over with everyone I saw. That is exactly why Mom and I bolted out of church early today after Sacrament Meeting. Don't judge.
The two of us went home and had ourselves a lazy day, much like the days before. Mom checked email, I ate lunch and painted my nails (again). Then when hubs and Ava came home, everyone (but me--why am I still awake?!) took naps.
An hour or two later, I heard Brian's phone alarm go off, reminding him of the Stake Priesthood Meeting he had to attend that night. He left the house by 6:45ish, and not ten minutes later the little pains in my lower abdomen began. I was skeptical that this could actually be labor, which I had been wanting for so so long. So, I kept the little secret to myself. After seeing the consistency and duration of these little pains (about 7 minutes apart and lasting an average of 30 seconds), I opted to tell my mom. We decided to go on a walk to see what that would do. Off to the neighboring elementary school we went. Ava played on the playground while I walked and walked. Sure enough, the contractions kept coming, lasted a little longer and were getting a bit stronger each time, which lead me to send this picture and text to Brian:
An hour or two later, I heard Brian's phone alarm go off, reminding him of the Stake Priesthood Meeting he had to attend that night. He left the house by 6:45ish, and not ten minutes later the little pains in my lower abdomen began. I was skeptical that this could actually be labor, which I had been wanting for so so long. So, I kept the little secret to myself. After seeing the consistency and duration of these little pains (about 7 minutes apart and lasting an average of 30 seconds), I opted to tell my mom. We decided to go on a walk to see what that would do. Off to the neighboring elementary school we went. Ava played on the playground while I walked and walked. Sure enough, the contractions kept coming, lasted a little longer and were getting a bit stronger each time, which lead me to send this picture and text to Brian:
He stayed for the entire meeting. By the time he got home, had changed his clothes and was ready to go, I had had my first "knee dropping" contraction. Yeah, it was time to go. We loaded up the car, said goodbye to Grammy and Ava, then off we went. We texted our friend/photographer, Mariah (so glad I decided to do birth photography!) to let her know what was going on and that we would keep her updated.
We arrived at the hospital around 9:40, and that is where the contractions got painful and pressure seemed to come out of nowhere. My breath was taken away and my vision became blurred due to the pain. It was then and there that I knew Olivia was right there. My girl was so close to being in my arms. It felt like I was in that waiting room for ages. Brian claims it was only 5 minutes, but I'd beg to differ. It felt more like 15.
They finally wheeled me back to a room, where I was once again on my hands and knees. I lost some blood, which scared me a bit, but not nearly as bad as hearing the nurse say I was dilated to a nine and was unable to get an epidural. Seriously, my worst nightmare. I begged for some type of numbing medicine, cream, shot, WHATEVER! (high fives all around to you women who do it naturally by choice). It took them nearly 15 minutes to decide (with the help of my husband, mind you), prep and administer a pudendal neural block, which only helped minimally with the pain.
My doctor arrived shortly after that was given (she was driving from clear across town), which is when Olivia was crowning. I pushed anywhere from 5-10 minutes, and our Olivia was born. She arrived at 10:13pm, weighing 8 pounds, 8 ounces (just like her momma!), and being 20.5 inches in length.
We were in the hospital for a grand total of 33 minutes when our little girl was born. Talk about a whirlwind. I have been shaking ever since, in awe that I just delivered a child naturally and in such a short amount of time. Our bodies truly are amazing.
Although Olivia didn't come as soon as Ava did, it is true that labor with your second child is much [much] faster. Can you imagine what it will be like with our third? Yikes.
I am loving getting to know this little one. I can tell already that she is a good baby. She was so alert after she was born, barely crying. Her eyes were wide open and alert. She was studying me, as I was studying her. Possibly my favorite part after labor is seeing my little ones turn their heads to the sound of my voice. Both Ava and Olivia did this. It really does something to me when I see this. It is as though they know I am their momma, and that they find comfort in knowing I'm there.
Oh how we love our Livvy! She looks a lot like her big sister when we is sleeping, but when she is awake I think she has her own look. I can't even express how grateful, blessed and excited I am to have two girls. They will meet for the first time tomorrow, and I simply can't wait. I'm sure Ava will be overjoyed to meet and hold a new baby. The years ahead of us will be good ones. To watch these two grow and interact together will be the highlight of my days.
Brian and I are so blessed.
Welcome to the world, Olivia Jane!
Born: September 1, 2013
Time: 10:13 PM
Weight: 8 pounds, 8 ounces
Height: 20.5 inches
They finally wheeled me back to a room, where I was once again on my hands and knees. I lost some blood, which scared me a bit, but not nearly as bad as hearing the nurse say I was dilated to a nine and was unable to get an epidural. Seriously, my worst nightmare. I begged for some type of numbing medicine, cream, shot, WHATEVER! (high fives all around to you women who do it naturally by choice). It took them nearly 15 minutes to decide (with the help of my husband, mind you), prep and administer a pudendal neural block, which only helped minimally with the pain.
My doctor arrived shortly after that was given (she was driving from clear across town), which is when Olivia was crowning. I pushed anywhere from 5-10 minutes, and our Olivia was born. She arrived at 10:13pm, weighing 8 pounds, 8 ounces (just like her momma!), and being 20.5 inches in length.
We were in the hospital for a grand total of 33 minutes when our little girl was born. Talk about a whirlwind. I have been shaking ever since, in awe that I just delivered a child naturally and in such a short amount of time. Our bodies truly are amazing.
Although Olivia didn't come as soon as Ava did, it is true that labor with your second child is much [much] faster. Can you imagine what it will be like with our third? Yikes.
I am loving getting to know this little one. I can tell already that she is a good baby. She was so alert after she was born, barely crying. Her eyes were wide open and alert. She was studying me, as I was studying her. Possibly my favorite part after labor is seeing my little ones turn their heads to the sound of my voice. Both Ava and Olivia did this. It really does something to me when I see this. It is as though they know I am their momma, and that they find comfort in knowing I'm there.
Oh how we love our Livvy! She looks a lot like her big sister when we is sleeping, but when she is awake I think she has her own look. I can't even express how grateful, blessed and excited I am to have two girls. They will meet for the first time tomorrow, and I simply can't wait. I'm sure Ava will be overjoyed to meet and hold a new baby. The years ahead of us will be good ones. To watch these two grow and interact together will be the highlight of my days.
Brian and I are so blessed.
Welcome to the world, Olivia Jane!
Born: September 1, 2013
Time: 10:13 PM
Weight: 8 pounds, 8 ounces
Height: 20.5 inches














2 little notes:
Congrats to you all!!!! I had a similar experience with my second labor being so much faster & no epidural (not by choice)! I'm pretty sure I'll have the third in the car. Love her name, love the story, love it all!
congratulations! what a beautiful addition!! so glad you made it to the hospital!
Post a Comment