Father's Day
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Happy Fathers Day, Dad.
When I was young you were my idol. You were my playmate and someone I absolutely adored. You were a busy man at the same time. You were a full time student, had a full time job, were a husband and a father on top of it all. You always seemed to put the important things first though. You always told Chase and I how much we were loved, and would take us to the park, the zoo or would just build a fort with us in your free time. You had many long nights doing school work just so you could have family time in the evenings with us. I also remember how you took me to the library one day so you could finish up a big school project of yours. You promised me that if I was good, you would take me to my favorite resturant and treat me to ice cream. You took me to the children's section of the library to study where I was engulfed in books for hours. Afterwards I remember looking out of the big McDonald's window where we were sitting, and feeling so loved by you. I was the luckiest girl in the world just to have spent that whole day with my daddy.
You were there for me during all the big transitions I experienced in life. As I entered elementary school you constantly asking me every night at dinner how my day was and what my friends there were like. You reminded me to follow my dreams and pushed me into doing some things that I might have been uncomfortable with. I remember during recess I wanted to play soccer with all the kids in my class, but was too afraid of being kicked by everyone as they chased the ball. Once you heard that, you took me to the store, bought me shin guards and signed me up for a soccer team. You were one of the assistant coaches and helped teach me to rules of the game. I fell in love with it instantly and it became apart of who I was. I remember weekends full of soccer games where we would travel all around the state together. You were there to each and every one of my games, win or lose, rain or shine. I can still hear you yelling my name in encouragement while clapping your hands and pacing up up and down the side lines. I hated it during the game, but now I look back and adore you for reassuring me of your love and support.
In middle school, your job had our family to move clear across the country. This was an hard transition for me, and I think you beat yourself up for doing this to us. You have no idea how much that move impacted me for the better. It proved to be the best thing for me to go through at the time, and I thank you for that experience. I learned so much about who I was and I became so close to you, mom and Chase. Once again you were always there for me to make sure I was adjusting well and that everything at school and church was going alright. I met one of my best friends out in Georgia who helped me get through the challenges of high school and remain strong in the church. If it wasn't for you I would have never met her nor experienced all the ups and downs that a big move brings. I became a stronger girl because of it and learned how to look at the bright side of every situation.
High school brought with it drama, and you were there when that drama became too much for me to bear. You defended your little girl as dads should, and protected me from guys who did not have right intentions or respect for me. As college came around you let me go and our relationship grew through weekly phone calls. You helped me understand certain aspects of the world that I never had to learn by living at home, and ensured me that I was going to make it through college when it got tough.
Then Brian came around and he instantly received your approval. You welcomed him into our family the moment you knew he was the one. You have no idea how much that meant to me. You have taken him golfing and shown him one of your favorite past times, and have shown so much interest in him and his schooling. I also love how you aren't afraid of teasing him as if he was one of your very own.
I am so lucky to have you as a dad and hope you have a wonderful fathers day, you deserve it. I hope you know I think you're the greatest.
Love,
your little prin
0 little notes:
Post a Comment