A Southern Thanksgiving

Thursday, December 8, 2011

A lot has been a lot going on here in the Fisher home, including a sick baby girl. Her small cough makes my heart just break. She has taken a total of three long naps today, and its only 2:30. The poor girl can hardly breathe because she is so congested. I elevated her with a few blankets and put her favorite soft blanket up next to her face with the binki in the mouth. After that, she was (and currently is) out like a light.

Last week was such a refreshing breath of fresh air for this momma. I went home to my momma for an entire WEEK! I love going home, even if I haven't been to Georgia in nearly 7 years! (my parents recently moved back) It was so good to be back and see all of my old friends and relive all the memories I created there. I want to raise all my babies in the South.

Here is a glimpse of what we did over the Thanksgiving break. We flew out of Lubbock on Wednesday, 11/23 to Memphis only to learn that we missed our connecting flight to Atlanta. Why am I suddenly cursed with bad luck when it comes to making airport connections? We lost a bit of sleep during the process, but made it to Atlanta by 8 that next morning.

After flying in and taking an hour or two to unwind at home, we drove up to Warm Springs, Georgia to eat a true Southern Thanksgiving meal at the Bulloch House. Brian and I both tried fried green tomatoes and apples for the first time. I'm a fan, big surprise! After we stuffed ourselves full of goodness and had a bit of carmel cake for desert (heaven!), we went to Callaway Gardens for the Fantasy In Lights and all their other Christmas festivities. Every year they have a "sleigh ride" around their gardens with various Christmas scenes lit up in lights and music. It was a fun way to bring in the Christmas season! Oh, and Miss Ava met Santa for the very first time there! Take a look:

Isn't she just a doll?

Friday we went on a golf cart ride around Peachtree City. Remember how I said I loved this town? This is why. I loved owning a golf cart and using it as a way to get from point A to point B when I was pre-license age. Peachtree City has 80+ miles of golf cart paths allowing you to get pretty much anywhere. It really is something you have to experience to believe. Especially on the 4th of July. Everyone decorates their carts in red, white and blue, some even with lights! The streets for the parade, and the paths for the fireworks at night are lined with carts for miles and miles. Can you guess where we will be traveling for for the 4th this year?
















Now lets hope Brian can get a job in Georgia in a few years. Keep your fingers crossed!

Saturday was our trip to The Martin Luther King Jr. memorial and to the World of Coke. We were able to drive by Martin Luther King's childhood home where he was born, as well as go inside Ebenezer's Baptist Church, where three generations of Kings preached (his grandfather, father and himself). We also saw that Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King's wife, is now placed beside him at the memorial. Since we had moved away when she passed, that was something new for us to see when we visited.




















Dad & Brian in Ebenezer Baptist Church

A few minutes from Martin Luther King's home is the World of Coke. Coca Cola's headquarters are in Atlanta, and I'm proud to say that moving there is what started my love for the beverage. We were able to see all the history behind the company, see how they make and bottle the drink, as well as try all the different kinds of coca cola drinks from all over the world. There were 65 different beverages, and Brian is proud to say that he tried them all (even the nasty "beverly" drink from Italy). They even had a gingerbread flavored soda there. At first I wrinkled my nose at the thought of trying it, but I'm so glad I did. It was delicious!

Drinks from Africa! Thinking of you, Chaser!

We went to my old ward and saw all of my old friends who were visiting for the holidays, and all my old leaders. I couldn't believe how much I missed them. Seriously, can I please move back? We then had our own traditional Thanksgiving meal with all the fixings, yet celebrated Christmas easy with my parents since we won't be with them on the actual day. We got spoiled rotten with all of our gifts, and I felt like a giddy little kid all over again. It was also fun to see how into the gift opening Ava was. For a 5 1/2 month old, I was pleasantly surprised! I'm sure she will be even more fun to watch on Christmas morning since she will be a bit older. I can't wait!








Monday was a much needed lazy day for all of us. We caught up on sleep, lounged in our pajamas and enjoyed just being at home stuffing ourselves with leftovers and sweets. Yum!

Tuesday we went to the Georgia Aquarium. Oh my heck. If you are ever in Atlanta and have time to kill, you must go! We were all in awe by all the amazing animals there. The big tank has 4 whale sharks (which I was fascinated with when I was younger), sharks, manta rays and many, many other fish I can't even name or remember. I'm definitely going back with Ava when she is older.




















Dad & Brian in the penguin look-out.









Whale Shark.


Manta Ray

We flew home on Wednesday, unfortunately. I'm proud to say that we had no trouble with our flights this go around. So happy about that because we got home and crashed. It was such a good break. Thank you mom and dad, for spoiling us and treating us like gold. I really do have the best parents.

We hope everyone had a wonderful break and is enjoying the holiday season!

0 little notes:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP