building of temples
Saturday, October 1, 2011
As many may know, today during General Conference President Monson announced the building of many new temples throughout the world. What a wonderful time to live and witness such miracles!
New temples will be coming to France, South Africa, Columbia, Utah and Wyoming, in order to accommodate the needs of the expanding members there. The Church is growing at such a fast pace. I am reminded of this during Confrence and in my brother's weekly emails back home. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day for Chase to teach all the people in South Africa who are willing to listen to his message. The people he does teach are so humble and diligently searching for the truth. They are so open to the teachings, and instantly accept any challege he and his companion give. There is no doubt that the Church is growing in that area, and I am so excited for a temple to be built for these humble people.
Last week in Relief Society, I was humbled as I listened to a sweet story from one of my fellow Sisters. We were talking about the blessings of temples, and the joy that comes to members living in the areas where the new temples are announced. This particular Sister is from El Salvador, and mentioned how members in her country sacrifice nearly all that they have (a years worth of income, their safety etc.) in order to travel to the nearest temple in Guatamala in order to recieve the blessings given in that sacred building. Her people prayed and fasted for a temple to someday come to their area. She started tearing up when she mentioned how in 2007 their prayers were answered.
I felt the joy this morning as I listened to President Monson announce the rebuilding of the historic Provo Tabernacle, which will be converted and dedicated as Provo's second temple. This might become one of my favorite temples. It has such a unique story behind it. I can't wait for it to be finished and for the opportunity to head back to Utah and go through it someday. I remember the night it burned down. I heard through word of mouth, and quickly saw it on the news. I was in shock as I saw pictures of it up in flames, and my heart ached for the loss of such a historic building. Driving by it ever so often also brought a sense of sadness to my heart. I'm slowly learning that happiness and sadness tend to intertwine with one another. I would not know true happiness if I had not experienced sadness. Today, I felt the happiness. Brian and I were both overjoyed as we sat in our living room listening to the announcement.
I sure do love this time of year.

0 little notes:
Post a Comment