Lubbock so far.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
I think I am really starting to fall for this place. Although there is not much to look at and it is extremely dry, the people that we have met so far are absolutely wonderful. As mentioned earlier, Brian and I have made countless trips to Walmart. Almost every time we go I run into someone giving me a sweet compliment, giving me much needed advice on what product to choose (for the babe), or simply looking out for my well-being (as I'm waddling through the isles still recovering from giving birth). I can't remember ever having such experiences in Utah. Southern hospitality is what I'm calling it.
We've noticed that there are so many churches down here. Unlike Utah, they belong to a variety of different denominations. Apparently a common question when getting to know someone out here is "where do you go to church?" rather than "do you". This allows for missionary work to boom out here. I am so excited.
On Tuesday we went to renew our temple recommends with our Bishop. We felt grateful to have an excuse to meet with him before actually attending our ward. He mentioned how he had lived in Lubbock his whole life, how the ward was a very close knit community, and how he had been praying for new members to move to the area. Today was our first Sunday in our ward, and I don't think I've ever felt so welcomed before. We already have a ward activity, the sister missonaries coming over, as well as a play group lined up.
Brian has two friends from BYU that are also down here for school. They are both married, which means we are automatically married friends. ha! We have already had a dessert and games night with one of them, it was great!
Yep, I'm already falling for Lubbock. (Oh, and I found a hair salon that I love. Bonus!)
2 little notes:
I too have noticed how even though in UT we think we are really nice people outside of UT are often more friendly to strangers.
I'm so glad it's going well!!! We felt the same way about TN!
Post a Comment