A Birthday
Monday, October 22, 2012
Another birthday of mine has come and gone. October 20th sure comes by quicker and quicker each year, it seems. Unlike Brian though, I still get giddy when it does. I love looking at my phone and seeing "Oct 20" right there on the screen. So dumb, I know. But I'm still a child at heart when it comes to my special day.
Maybe its because my parents made sure to go above and beyond on these days. It made my brother and I feel so special. I loved it. I hope my little ones feel just as special each year as their birthdays roll around. It is weird that I'm looking forward to Ava's next birthday bash? So excited.
This year, my birthday was unlike any before. It was spent at a funeral. Fun, right? Brian's grandpa passed away on the 16th of October, and the funeral was scheduled to be that weekend -- Saturday, October 20th. Brian was set on going. All of his extended family was going to be there and he wanted to be there to support his grandma with her loss. It makes sense. I knew that. But, I would be lying if I said I didn't cried a few tears. I didn't want to travel in the car for 18+ hours with a baby (or toddler?) within a three day period of time and spend my birthday at a funeral and eating funeral food. Not my kind of party. I knew I was being childish, but it's my birthday and I cry if I want to.
We left Lubbock late Friday, right after Brian got out of class. I was a grouch the whole way. We got a flat tire in Santa Rosa, and I was so sick of the idea of where we were going that I was almost numb with frustration. An hour later, we were back on the road and on our way to Holbrook. We rolled in at 3 am. Grouchy me just wanted to sleep.
The funeral was beautiful. My heart softened a little seeing all the love that was in that chapel. Grandpa Miller sure lead a great life. It made me realize as I was listening, and literally entering into my 24th year, how short life really is. I was grateful to have made it to this day in my life. I have experienced some pretty amazing things in those 24 years. Some of the biggest ones have happened within the last three and a half. I married a great man who is as smart as a whip and who has a heart of gold. He has so much love to give, and I'm so happy that he is mine forever. I became a mother. I experienced life inside of me, and brought a child into the world. That is an experience unlike any other and I can't thank my Father in Heaven enough for that. Motherhood has been one of my biggest blessings. I left the church feeling gratitude not just for a particular day, but for a particular life. I'm glad I have the one that I do.
As we were leaving the cemetery, Brian whisked me off to Subway to avoid the luncheon back at the church. He knows how much I hate stuff like that. I'm a picky eater, did you know? I guess that was one perk to it being my birthday. I had the perfect excuse to get out of almost anything. Score.
Since all the Fishers were together that weekend, Jolene wanted to take some family pictures. We had a blast taking them in one of the most beautiful yards there in Joseph City. The home originally belonged to Jolene's grandmother. It now belongs to her cousin, and she is a fabulous decorator. I was in love with every aspect of where they live. The setting was perfect to achieve the "fall/autumn" look that we were striving for. I think the pictures turned out great.
We ended the evening going to a mexican restaurant where Ava destroyed the floor with all of her food droppings. Ahh...that girl. We will not be welcomed back anytime soon, I'm sure.
Cheers to turning 24!




0 little notes:
Post a Comment