Sweet Georgia

Saturday, July 14, 2012

As some may know, my family now lives in Georgia. That place will always have a special place in my heart. There is no place quite like the South, especially when you live in a town where golf carts are your first choice of transportation. Life there is simple, and I love it. I'm hoping Brian can get his residency out there so we can soak up that simplicity and Georgia sunshine. Plus, I would love to show my in-laws just why I have fallen so hard for that area of the country. I think my mother-in-law would understand perfectly.

Anyhow, the three of us just got back from my home-away-from-home a few days ago and it was just what I needed. We did all the things I had on my wish list, plus a little more. These things included: sitting on momma's nice new front porch while sipping our beverage of choice (mine: coke, momma's: diet pepsi, ava's: milk), riding on multiple golf cart rides around town, eating at my favorite restaurants - there are way too many to choose from, Stone Mountain, decorating the golf cart for the 4th, attending the Peachtree City parade and firework show, Braves game, watching all the fireflies...the list goes on. But everything was checked off, believe you me. (thanks to my incredible mother)


stone mountain!

The main reason we went there was to celebrate the 4th of July in Peachtree City. I used to live in Peachtree City from the middle of 7th grade until the end of my freshman year of high school. These were probably the best years I can remember from growing up. I fell in love with this town and never dreamed I'd be back once my family moved to Washington state. I kept thinking that when we were driving around on the golf cart this past week. It was so sweet to have all the memories of past 4th of Julys rushing back. What did it for me was all the golf cart traffic after the parade. Priceless.

Besides the uniqueness of traveling by golf cart everywhere, we had a pretty typical July 4th celebration. Morning parade, BBQ, and a night time firework show. Ava was actually intrigued by the fireworks, making it that much more fun to watch her facial expressions. They mostly consisted of wide-eyed stares into the sky, but it was fun to watch her take in all the colors. She makes me so happy, that one.



golf carts lining the street. Not something you see everyday.
its crazy, I tell ya!
papa made it his goal to get Ava as much candy as possible. Best grandpa ever!
"Candy for Ava!"
She loves anything cold and sweet, just like her daddy!
I told you there was golf cart traffic!
Ava enjoyed every last bit of her helping of the BBQ. yum!

The 4th also means that dad's birthday is just around the corner. My dad, also known as "Papa" to baby girl, has a passion for the game of golf. Nearly all of his birthday/Christmas gifts have some tie to the game, and of course this year was no exception. This year it was a personalized club cover that had his name on it. It was strategically placed on one of his clubs the night before he hit the course. So get this, dad loves the game so much that he plays the same amount of holes as his age. This year he played 54 holes. Crazy. Oh, and Brian joined him. Extra crazy. The funny thing is, it made Brian truly fall in love with the game. He is now on the lookout for his very own set of clubs. Oh dear.

Ava loved the trip, especially Toby, our dog. She would follow him everywhere, and he did everything he could to avoid her. Ava quickly learned that if she dropped her food Toby would come running. That has been a hard habit to break now that we're home and there is no dog to pick up the mess. Ava also discovered her love for stairs. She loves to climb up, but has no desire to learn how to go down. She is like at the pool now too. She would climb those stairs all day if I had the patience.

We were sad to leave, but happy to know that we will be back in just a matter of months. September can't come soon enough. Elder Nielsen will finally be home! I've been dying to introduce him to my sweet girl. I can't wait!

Happy to know that we'll be back again for all the craziness next year.

0 little notes:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP