Sleeping and Waking
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Ava,
You are so beautiful. It is 6:40 in the morning, and I am up feeding you your very first bottle of the day. That's right, you slept another good night, eleven hours to be exact! I can tell you are so hungry as you guzzle your food down as fast as you can. It seems like you think there is a time limit for you to eat, and that in a matter of seconds I will be taking that precious bottle away from you. silly girl. When you make it halfway through your feeding and your stomach is starting to feel a bit better, you begin to catch your breath. While doing this you also begin to make the cutest cooing sounds. Your eyes are wide and wandering. It seems like this is your time to explore the small area around you.
It is at this same time where I am dreaming of my nice warm bed. I have one eye open, one shut and I'm sure there are times when I do in fact fall asleep with you in my arms. Today, even though I was just as tired as any other day, I soaked up this precious moment with you. I opened both of my eyes to get a better look at my sweet baby girl. I studied your sweet face. It seems like it changes each and every day. I looked at those big wandering eyes, and wonder what it is that catches your attention. Most of the time it is the two long windows behind us where the day's first rays are starting to seep through. I look at your legs, which, at the moment, are motionless. They are starting to pack on the rolls, and I love each and every one of them. I can't believe how much those little legs resemble my own. Then my eyes look at your sweet hands. At least one of your hands is clenched to the front of my shirt, while the other is wrapped around my body stroking my left arm.
There are times at night when you simply will not go back to sleep after being fed. During those moments I take you into bed with me, place you on my chest, wrap you in our sheet and rock you back to sleep. Usually you are out in a matter of minutes. This past week however, while rocking you back and forth, you have been a little more restless and alert. I noticed that you were stroking my collar bone with your hand, while moving your little arm up and down. It is almost as if these strokes are your way of saying "I love you" in return. They are so comforting.
I am starting to try and get you to bed earlier during the day, because I have heard that babies will actually sleep longer if they are put to bed earlier, unlike what most parents think. It is working for us, that is for sure. You have been sleeping for 8-11 hours each night. What a dream baby you are.
Your daddy and I feel so lucky that you joined our family. Love you, missy.
0 little notes:
Post a Comment